Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wet Dog Food

I never thought I would be standing in my kitchen using my kitchen spatula to dig canned dog food out of the can and mix it with dry food in hopes that the little guy will eat it. Well, that was me today. Judge hasn’t been interested in his food at all for the past 5 or 6 days. We don’t have much information about when he was weaned and how he was eating the dry food at the breeder’s place. They told us they were giving him Purina and he was doing fine, but I’m just not sure what fine meant b/c he isn’t eating here. Anyway, I bought him IAMS food b/c I heard Purina wasn’t the greatest, and IAMS wasn’t too expensive. Well, he must not like IAMS and I should go get Purina and slowly mix in the other food, but I don’t really want to spend that much more money. ANYWAY, I went to a vet today (we don’t have one yet, so I’m trying to get some good information and find out prices, yada, yada, yada) and the vet nurse lady told me to try wet food and mix it with the IAMS food. I know its still probably as expensive as getting Purina and weaning him, but I feel like the chances of him liking the wet food is better than going back to dry Purina. Catch my drift? So, I mixed up the little guy’s kibble and brought it out to his “domain” and he really LOVED it. He stood there for 5ish minutes straight just eating that stuff. Unfortunately, the flies are getting on the bowl now and he isn’t interested in going back over there and trying to finish his supper. I’m just proud of my little guy for eating something besides Milkbone dog biscuits. The bad part of this wet dog food is that I got the cheap kind (it’s only for a few days, hopefully), so I feel like I may be feeding my puppy the equivalent to a big bowl of SPAM or Ramen. Oh well, who doesn’t like a little SPAM or Ramen every now and then.


Success!! This one is a little dark, but he is really going after that food!!
The finished supper (for now). It looks pretty gross to me.

2 comments:

Lora said...

A Vet told me once that a few days without food and they learn to LOVE that dry dogfood. Good training for being a Mommie someday!

Brooke & Freeland said...

Cute little muffin!! Dogs can be so picky about food sometimes.

We use Purina Pro Plan for our pups. It doesnt work out to be too expensive because we feed them just once a day (like our vet recommended so they dont become over weight -I guess great danes can gain weight easily.)

If you join the little member thing at PetsMart then they take $$ off and they also email you coupons during the month so it works out to be super cheap.

How did your interview go?

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker