Monday, July 7, 2008

Sleepy, Sore, and Sunburned








A July 4th weekend isn't complete without the 3 S's listed above. It's now Monday at 4 and I haven't done much today. I caught up on laundry and did some dishes. I took care of some paperwork/emails/calls and THAT'S ABOUT IT! My head couldn't wait to hit my OWN pillow last night and had a hard time getting away from that pillow this morning.

We left Friday morning around 11 with a full car and empty tummies and headed out to Bryon's parent's lake-house at Possum Kingdom lake. This was Judge's first trip to the lake and he was in heaven. He got completely spoiled the entire weekend. So, when we arrived at the lake Friday, we unloaded the car and proceeded to settle in for the weekend. We started snacking around 2:00 pm and didn't stop until about 4:00 pm on Sunday. We headed out to the lake around 3:30 for some afternoon skiing and wake boarding. A little sore and hungry, we headed back to the house about 5:30 and proceeded to cook a complete steak dinner. Yummy! After dinner, some of us headed back out to the lake to take advantage of the smooth wake boarding/skiing conditions. Later that night we snacked on trail mix, puppy chow, chips and guac, cookies, chocolate candy, popsicles, coke (right Camille?), and anything else to fuel our late night game of catch phrase.

The next morning at 8:00 am we were up and raring to go back out for some early morning skiing. Well, Bryon, Dani, David, and Mike were raring to go. I needed my coffee first. We stayed out for a while, came in for lunch, played some guitar hero, took cat naps, then prepared a wonderful 5th of July meal. That meal would be considered our "Celebration of Independence Day Meal." We had the traditional cole slaw, potato salad, corn salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, and bbq chicken. Delicious! After dinner, we went back out to the lake for a little more wake boarding/skiing before a fabulous fireworks show.

Some group out at PK (maybe the HOA) puts on a magnificent fireworks show every July 4th weekend. This year they did it on the 5th b/c it was a Saturday. Anyway, Bryon's parents recently put in a flagstone patio and fire pit on the edge of their property that overlooks the lake. We enjoyed roasting smores and had a perfect view of the beautiful fireworks.

Later we attempted to watch a movie, but just couldn't stay awake. Everyone went to bed and slept in a little. We went back out to the lake for one last hurrah on Sunday morning after a yummy big breakfast. Everyone had a blast tubing, wake boarding, skiing, and getting some sun. After lunch back at the lake house, everyone pitched in to clean up and we got back on the road around 4:00. Like I said, everyone was sleepy, sore, and sunburned. Dani and I could hardly keep our eyes open in the car on the way home. Many thanks to David and Bryon for driving/navigating the way home for us. And thanks for the Braums ice cream on the way home too.

So, here's to a fun fourth! Thank you Jesus for good friends and wonderful family!!




4 comments:

Lora said...

Typical American 4th! Glad you had such a great time!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Imagine you not being able to stay awake through a movie! I'm shocked!

Sounds like fun, friend...

Lindsey said...

i know, shocking.

Jenna Cox said...

i am so in love with your dog! I LOVE LOVE LOVE him. We are planning on getting a Golden Retriever soon, but there is NO telling when that will happen. We said at the end of the summer, but i dunno. Anyway, don't feel bad about not being able to stay awake during movies. I CANNOT stay awake during a movie. Story of my life and Matt gives me so much crap about it. Oh well. I am over it! HA! I love to sleep and sometimes that is the best sleep.

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker