Tuesday, September 21, 2010

new mommy question...

Hi! I'm back with a new mommy question for my oh, so many readers (haha)...
My Campbell LOVES to be swaddled and sleeps best in her crib when swaddled. We always swaddle her in the little 'baby straight-jacket' thing at night and just today I swaddled her in it for a nap in her crib. When she is not swaddled or when she is swaddled in just a blanket she always gets her arms free and never sleeps as long as she does when swaddled. So my question is...how long do we continue to swaddle her for naps/nighttime (she is 2 months now)? And how to I teach her to sleep unswaddled? It's not a deal-breaker for me if she is sleeping swaddled/unswaddled...I just would like some advice so that eventually I can just lay her in the crib without any fuss and see her go to sleep... especially for naps.

Please pass along any advice for me. Thanks!




Here she is sleeping so soundly. :) This is in the morning after she wiggled off the sleep positioner to the corner of her crib.

3 comments:

Matt and Bethany Lankenau said...

I read somewhere that most babies can stop being swaddled around 3 months. After 3 months, it's just because the baby likes it not because they wake themselves up with their arms moving. Some babies just really like it and want to continue being swaddled longer. I don't know what to suggest about teaching her to not be swaddled. Maybe around 3 months just having her partly swaddled with an arm out or something. Then start swaddling less and less of her? That would be my thought process. I don't know if it would work.

Marylou said...

Lindsey- We really struggled with this with Tris too! I wished she would stay swaddled but she too was active and was starting to get out around 2 months like Cami. I eventually just gave up swaddling during the day and just kept it for night since that's when I wanted her to sleep the most soundly :) Finally she was just getting out of it every night (like around 3 months) so we just gave it up entirely. It was tough for about a week but then she was fine! Hope that helps :)

Brooke & Freeland said...

This is the thing I love/hate the most so far! We still use a swaddle.. because River just sleeps so stinkin well with it. And.. I love my sleep too! So, its important to me he sleeps. And umm he is almsot 6 months old - so yeah we're going on a little longer here! We actually use a "woombie" now. It just zips up. He cant break out of it. (He can also move enough that if he rolls over he can move his arms and roll himself back over) But he also cant move his arms up high enough where he wakes himself up. Without it he just hits himself and wakes up (i watch this happen over & over on the monitor)

BUT once we get back from traveling this month my goal is to just suck it up and break him of it because I know I need to at some point. But seriously - I LOVE HOW MUCH HE SLEEPS so its going to be really hard!

I feel ya! Hopefully it works for you like it did everyone else!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker